We have long-admired when knishes get a little wild and crazy. Behold this epic knish sandwich being served at The Knish in Austin Texas. Or even these delectable knishes made with plantains!
But recently one of our coworkers mentioned that she and her husband love making knishes into sandwiches – that is, instead of using bread, making a square knish into the “bread” itself. Well, we ran out immediately to try and recreate such a masterpiece. And yes, it is as crazy and delicious as you may think. Bonus: It’s really easy, making it perfect for a fun and fast weeknight dinner.
- 4 square knishes (such as Gabila’s brand)
- 3/4 – 1 lb sliced pastrami, turkey, corned beef, roast beef or a combination
- coleslaw (optional)
- spicy brown mustard
- Slice open each knish in half, like it’s a roll.
- Place knishes on a baking sheet. Place in oven preheated to 375 degrees for 5-7 minutes or place under broiler for 3 minutes.
- Top bottom half of each knish with pastrami and/or other deli meat. Top with coleslaw is desired.
- Serve with spicy brown mustard and dill pickles.